[Rd] CRAN mirror size mushrooming; consider archiving some?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:47:15 CEST 2011

Hi, everybody

I'm setting up a new CRAN mirror and filled up the disk space the
server allotted me.  I asked for more, then filled that up.  Now the
system administrators want me to buy an $800 fiber channel card and a
storage device.  I'm going to do that, but it does make want to
suggest to you that this is a problem.

CRAN now is about 68GB, and about 3/4 of that is in the bin folder,
where one finds copies of compiled packages for macosx and windows.
If the administrators of CRAN would move the packages for R before,
say, 2.12, to long term storage, then mirror management would be a bit
more, well, manageable.

Moving the R for windows packages for, say, R 2.0 through 2.10 would
save some space, and possibly establish a useful precedent for the
long term.

Here's the bin/windows folder. Note it is expanding exponentially (or nearly so)

$ du --max-depth=1 | sort
1012644 ./2.6
103504  ./1.7
122200  ./1.8