[Rd] R CMD CHECK doens't run configure when testing install? (Revised)

Alexander James Rickett ack.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 00:56:27 CEST 2011

I'm trying to get ready to submit a package to CRAN, but in order for the package to install on OS X, I need to temporarily set the environment variable NOAWT=1.  I put 'export NOAWT=1' in my package's 'configure' script, and 'R CMD INSTALL MyPackage' returns with no errors.   However when I do 'R CMD CHECK MyPackage', the installation test fails, because the configure script is not invoked.  If I set the variable manually in Terminal before I run CHECK, then it passes all the tests.

Is the configure script the right place to be setting this variable?

If so, why isn't configure being invoked as part of R CMD CHECK?

If not, where should I set the environmental variable NOAWT=1 such that the change will be reflected in the R CMD CHECK installation test?

Here is the source tar-ball of my package if you want to try for yourself.
http://www.cs.ucla.edu/~alexalex/R/src/contrib/DeducerText_0.1-0.tar.gz

Thanks.

--
Alex Rickett