[Rd] assignInNamespace and new bindings

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Wed Jun 1 20:44:48 CEST 2011

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 31 May 2011, luke-tierney at uiowa.edu wrote:
>> Yes you should. Changing things in other people's packages is not a
>> safe thing to do.
>
> sorry to insist, but I was hoping for a slightly more specific pointer. I'll
> try asking it another way:
>
> Suppose I was using assignInNamespace() entirely bona fide, i.e. to develop and
> test patches with the intent to offer them to the package maintainer(s) for
> inclusion. What sort of gotchas should I be looking out for, specifically with
> respect to the compiler? Also, if the package that I'm trying to improve is a
> base package?

At the moment the main issue is that the assignment may not have any
effect on compiled code because the compiled code accesses the
finctionality known to be provided by these funcions in some more
direct way.  Examples are BUILTIN functions, which are called directly
through the internal table, and some functions that are simple
wrappers around .Internal calls where the compiled code in effect goes
directly to the .Internal call.  At the moment this applies only to
some functions in base packages but may in the future extend to other
packages.

Best,

luke

--