[Rd] C-Side: Applying a function (given as param) to data (given as param)

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 3 18:14:39 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 5:17 AM, oliver <oliver at first.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm implementing a package (C-extension),
> where one function gets data and a function
> that needs to be applied to the data.
>
> I want to apply the function to (parts of)
> the data on the C-side.
>
> 1) how do I apply a function (given via SEXP) to data
> 2) how do I select parts of the data (also provided via SEXP)?

Not to be facetious but you begin by reading the "Writing R Extensions" manual.

An alternative is to read the vignette Rcpp-Introduction available as
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/rcpp/Rcpp-introduction.pdf and soon
to be in The R Journal.  They show an explicit example of apply in
compiled code (C++ using the Rcpp structures, in their case).