[Rd] "warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type"

oliver oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Thu Jun 9 15:28:18 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 07:43:20AM -0400, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 11-06-09 7:27 AM, oliver wrote:

> >>Of course it does ...
> >>

> >It does not so on my R 2.10.1 installation.
> >

> >In the R-Shell I get:
> >
> >   ==============================
> >   >  length(c())
> >   [1] 0
> >   >
> >   ==============================
> >
> >So c() is vec of length 0.
> >
> >When I feed my readjpeg() with c() as filename arg,
> >
> >testing with:
> >====================================================
> >   if( LENGTH( filename_sexp )<  1 )
> >   {
> >     error("LENGTH( filename_sexp )<  1");
> >     //error("filename can't be vector of length 0");
> >   }
> >   else
> >   {
> >     error("LENGTH( filename_sexp ) is not<  1");
> >   }
> >====================================================
> >

> >I got:
> >   Error in readjpeg(filename = c()) : LENGTH( filename_sexp ) is not<  1
> >

> >You can explain why?
>
> c() doesn't create a STRSXP, it is NULL, which is a NILSXP.
> LENGTH() doesn't work on that object.  (I'd recommend using length()
> rather than LENGTH(); it's a function, not a macro, and it does give
> the expected answer.)
[...]

Interestingly, c() as value for an integer value
can be testes correctly with LENGTH().

So the question arises: is c() always creating NILSXP,
or is it NILSXP only for STRSXP, and 0 otherwise?

NILSXP, as it might be close to a NULL might be interpreted as 0
length by LENGTH...

Nevertheless it's a littlebid confusing for people who don't know the
internals of R.

Will try length() soon.

Ciao,
   Oliver

P.S.: To be picky: NOT knowing the internals and nevertheless using the available
      functions/macros is called encapsulation in OO or the difference between
      interface and implementation... which is good style of programming.