[Rd] Require of gWidgetsRGtk2 fails: RGtk2.dll can't be found, but it's there

Janko Thyson janko.thyson.rstuff at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 10 12:04:49 CEST 2011

Dear list,

I've been trying to get gWidgets/gWidgetsRGtk2 to run every other month
for a while, but somehow I simply can't figure out what's going wrong.

I tried several distributions of the GTK runtime environment for Windows
(http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gladewin32/gtk-2.12.9-win32-1.exe as
described in the package's vignette,
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/gtk+/2.22/gtk+-bundle_2.22.1-20101227_win32.zip)

I also included GTK in my Windows PATH.

Yet, when I run 'require(gWidgetsRGtk2)', R complains that the RGtk2.dll
can't be found/loaded (see below). But this file definitely exists. I'm
running R-2.13.0 from a USB Device but made sure that args 'destdir' and
'lib' are set propperly in 'install.packages'.

Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
   unable to load shared object
'R:/Apps/R/R-2.13.0/library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
   LoadLibrary failure:  Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.

Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it.
Learn more about GTK+ at http://www.gtk.org
If the package still does not load, please ensure that GTK+ is installed
and that it is on your PATH environment variable
IN ANY CASE, RESTART R BEFORE TRYING TO LOAD THE PACKAGE AGAIN
Error : .onAttach failed in attachNamespace() for 'gWidgetsRGtk2', details:
   call: .Call(name, ..., PACKAGE = PACKAGE)
   error: C symbol name "S_gtk_icon_factory_new" not in DLL for package
"RGtk2"

Best regards,
Janko

R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=German_Germany.1252  LC_CTYPE=German_Germany.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=German_Germany.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=German_Germany.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] gWidgets_0.0-44

[1] gWidgetsRGtk2_0.0-74 RGtk2_2.20.12        tools_2.13.0