[Rd] Require of gWidgetsRGtk2 fails: RGtk2.dll can't be found, but it's there

Janko Thyson janko.thyson.rstuff at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:05:45 CEST 2011

On 10.06.2011 14:40, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Janko Thyson
> <janko.thyson.rstuff at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> On 10.06.2011 13:00, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Janko Thyson
>> <janko.thyson.rstuff at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I've been trying to get gWidgets/gWidgetsRGtk2 to run every other month for
>> a while, but somehow I simply can't figure out what's going wrong.
>>
>> 1. Use the automatically installed GTk2, not some other version.
>>
>> Thanks for answering. I didn't even know there GTk2 already ships with R.
>> Prof. Brian Ripley linked me to the readme file with recommendations with
>> respect to an GTK2 distribution to use:
>>
>> "What it means is that RGtk2.dll or one of the DLLs it depends on cannot be
>> found.  See the instructions at
>> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.13/@ReadMe "
>>
>> 2. Note that the automatically installed one will be at
>> ...\GTk2-runtime\bin and that will be put at the *end* of your PATH.
>> Change it so that its at the beginning of your PATH to be sure its not
>> picking up something else.
>>
>> My R distribution does not seem to have such a directory (standard windows
>> R-2.13.0 installer from CRAN)
>> How do I manage to have this ...\GTk2-runtime\bin directory available?
> #1 is referring to the fact that when you run RGTk2 it will ask you if
> you want it to install GTk2.  Say yes and let it install that version
> to be sure you are using the right one.  If you install it yourself
> manually instead you could very easily install the wrong version.
>
> The only problem with the automatic installation is that it puts the
> GTk2 dll's at the end of your PATH so you can't be sure that something
> else on your path (such as graphviz which has its own potentially
> conflicting dll's) won't interfere.  To fix that change the PATH so
> that GTk2 is at the beginning (or at least before anything else that
> could interere).

Hm, I did install GTK2 via the automatic installation now (choosing to
put the DLLs in the /bin directory). The problem is, that R keeps asking
me to repeat this step (the dialog box) every time I try to load (in new
R sessions) either RGTk2 or gWidgetsRGtk2 displaying the same error:

Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
   unable to load shared object
'R:/Apps/R/R-2.13.0/library/RGtk2/libs/i386/RGtk2.dll':
   LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.

Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it.
Learn more about GTK+ at http://www.gtk.org
If the package still does not load, please ensure that GTK+ is installed
and that it is on your PATH environment variable
IN ANY CASE, RESTART R BEFORE TRYING TO LOAD THE PACKAGE AGAIN
Error : .onAttach failed in attachNamespace() for 'gWidgetsRGtk2', details:
   call: .Call(name, ..., PACKAGE = PACKAGE)
   error: C symbol name "S_gtk_icon_factory_new" not in DLL for package
"RGtk2"

I also tried it on a different machine running Windows 7 and R-2.13.0.

:-/

Do you have any other idea?
Thanks a lot,
Janko