[Rd] CRAN package with dependencies on Bioconductor

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sat Jun 11 14:15:46 CEST 2011

Actually I do not understand what is so hard to understand with CRAN policy.

This is:
Any source package on CRAN is build in binary form with
R-release/patched and R-oldrelease. This does not happen if you tell
your package it requires a particular R version - such as the
declaration R (>= 2.13.0) in the Depends field will cause the package
not to be build as a binary. Anotehr exception would be if the package
does not longer pass the checks and gives an ERROR, in that case we also
keep the old version in the binary repository.

On CRAN we assume that R-2.12.x users may want to get a bugfix release
of a package without the requirement to upgrade R, hence we distribute
new or updates packages for the oldrelease version (which is current
R-2.12.x). And if BioC has a different policy, that is fine with us.

Uwe Ligges