[Rd] Cross-compiling package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jun 12 20:28:27 CEST 2011

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 12.06.2011 18:57, Sylvain Loiseau wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm facing problems with compiling a package (containing only R-code and
>> dataset) under OSX for Windows.

Packages are 'installed': compilation is only involved if they contain
C/Fortran/C++/... source code.  It seems using the wrong term has
misled people.

>> Is there a command line producing a zip archive that can be installed on
>> Windows using the windows R GUI ?
>
> Well, cross compiling was always rather difficult.  Why not just you the
> winbuilder service, if you do not have access to a Windows box:
> http://win-builder.r-project.org/
> It also provides you with check results for the Windows platform.

Good point, but there is no 'cross-compiling' involved here.

Suppose I have a package 'mypkg' installed on Mac OS X (to give it the
correct name).  Then in a Terminal window

cd <directory above mypkg>
zip -r9X mypkg_ver.zip mypkg

where you need to set 'ver' to be the version number of the package,
read from mypkg/DESCRIPTION.