[Rd] Loose code in R package files

Stephen Ellison stephen.ellison at lgcgroup.com
Tue Jun 14 16:24:31 CEST 2011

I'm sure i've seen the answer to this, but can't find it:

If there is executable code in an R package .R file that does not return a function (that is, something like x <- rnorm(5), outside any function body ), what will actually happens at build and load time?

And (more importantly, so I can point a colleague to documented guidance on the matter) is there somewhere in R's docs that says why this is not likely to be a good idea and suggests the sort of things it is sensible - or not sensible - to include in .R files?

S Ellison