[Rd] X11 device windows are spawned with empty WM_NAME property

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 16:26:57 CEST 2011

On Jun 17, 2011, at 15:32 , Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>> Is this behavior intended?  Would be it be reasonable to instead create
>>> windows with a generic name like "R Graphics" prior to updating them with
>>> the device number and active/inactive status?
>
> Yes, no.

Well, "yes, maybe", I'd say. If the WM insists on looking at the title, it makes some pragmatic sense for the user to set it to a generic name that the WM can recognize.

However, on revisiting this, the obvious fix/workaround is just to set

X11.options(title="R Graphics: Device %d")

and the user can do this in his/her startup files. No need to inflict it on every user with any WM.

--
Peter Dalgaard
Phone: (+45)38153501
Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com