[Rd] R CMD check on CRAN

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jun 19 21:24:31 CEST 2011

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 19.06.2011 20:17, soeren.vogel at uzh.ch wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I have a package with a configure script (--include-something). How does
>> the package pass the check on CRAN, that is, how should I signalise that
>> check and install may need options?
>
> Which options are you talking about? You need to be more specific here, I
> think.

Well, there is --configure-args and --configure-vars

Such packages are very rare (and has better remain so or the automated
systems will grind to their knees).  I have, e.g.

RNetCDF-OPTS =
--install-args='--configure-args=--with-netcdf-include=/usr/include/udunits2'
Rserve-OPTS = --install-args='--configure-args=--without-server'
udunits2-OPTS =
--install-args='--configure-args=--with-udunits2-include=/usr/include/udunits2'

I don't believe any of these 3 should be needed: they indicate a lack
of responsiveness/dogmatism from the package maintainers.  (I have
some sympathy with resistance to non-standard layout, but it should be
able to be specified by environment variables, as discussed in
'Writing R Extensions'.)