[Rd] R CMD check --force-multiarch does not install all the archs for testing

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Tue Jun 28 23:11:29 CEST 2011

Simon,

On 11-06-28 01:44 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2011, at 3:45 PM, Hervé Pagès wrote:
>
>> Hi Simon,

>>> It does for two reasons: a) everything is built twice
>>
>> That's exactly what I want when I do 'R CMD check --force-multiarch'
>>

> No, that's not what it does (and I assume you mean --force-biarch). It builds the package just once, you're simply overriding the default behavior of checking for configure.win, that's all. The two flags are orthogonal, --force-biarch makes no sense with --merge-multiarch, they are for all practical purposes mutually exclusive by definition of what they do.

I really mean --force-multiarch, not --force-biarch. AFAIK 'R CMD check'
has no --force-biarch option.

>>> and b) package authors don't expect the necessity to support --libs-only if the package doesn't require separate build runs.
>>
>> When specifying --force-multiarch, the user really expects the package to be installed for all sub-archs.
>>

> ... with the assumption that the package supports it even though it has a configure script which may to may not work unlike --merge-multiarch which will always work.

Just to clarify:

--force-multiarch is an 'R CMD check' option, not an 'R CMD INSTALL'
option

--merge-multiarch is an 'R CMD INSTALL' option, not an 'R CMD check'
option

Now you are saying that --merge-multiarch will always work (on Windows
of course, all this discussion is about how to achieve multiarch check
on Windows). Great, this is what I've been observing too so far!
On packages with or without native codes, with or without configure.win
scripts, etc... It always seems to work. So, again, why isn't
'R CMD check --force-multiarch' installing with --merge-multiarch?
Note that I'm not attached to that solution in particular, just trying
to suggest an easy fix for 'R CMD check --force-multiarch' (which right
now is broken on some packages).

> --force-biarch is just a way to flag packages that have configure.win that has no effect on the binary settings (flags etc.). It forces R to try multi-arch build in one flight, but it may or may not work depending on the package. It is a way to save time by not running --merge-multiarch (and thus building the package twice).

--force-biarch is an 'R CMD INSTALL' option that I don't use. Why would
I use something that might fail when I can use --merge-multiarch which
always works.

Thanks,
H.

E-mail: hpages at fhcrc.org