[Rd] R-devel Digest, Vol 100, Issue 28

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 19:44:10 CEST 2011

On 29/06/2011 1:09 PM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 29.06.2011 13:41, John Maindonald wrote:
> >  I get the same style of path as Hadley.  This is on Windows 7 Home Premium with SP1.
> >  I start R by clicking on the R-2.31.0 icon.
> >
> >  I'd assumed that it was a change that came with R-2.13.0!
> >  (On 32-bit Windows XP, which I have just checked, I do indeed get the 8.3 paths.)
> >
> >>  R.home()
> >  [1] "C:/Programs/R/R-2.13.0"
>

> No, you got the same as Duncan: This is 8.3 compatible.

Yes, that's right.  The documentation is pretty inaccurate.  What
actually is supposed to happen is that you get the actual path, with
forward slashes in it, unless it contains spaces:  then you get the 8.3
version.  So John's path has no spaces, and doesn't get converted to
8.3.  True 8.3 would also have uppercase PROGRAMS, and only one dot in
R-2.13.0 (I forget how that is converted).

Duncan Murdoch