[Rd] R CMD check and Suggests Packages

Hervé Pagès hpages at fhcrc.org
Mon May 2 20:55:08 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 11-04-28 07:00 PM, Dario Strbenac wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In my description file, I have an example data package in Suggests: that I've deleted from my library to test what the user who doesn't have it will experience.
>
> However, R CMD check won't even pass my package :
>
> * checking package dependencies ... ERROR
> Package required but not available: RepitoolsExamples
           ^^^^^^^^
          confusing!

Wouldn't a message like

   Package required for full checking but not available: RepitoolsExamples

be more appropriate and avoid a confusion that we've seen
for a very long time now?

Just me 2 cents...

Cheers,
H.

> Why would it have to be installed, if it's only a data package, that isn't needed in any of my code ? The manual also says "In particular, large packages providing “only” data for examples or vignettes should be listed in ‘Suggests’ rather than ‘Depends’ in order to make lean installations possible."

Hervé Pagès

Program in Computational Biology
Division of Public Health Sciences
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center