[Rd] Curry: proposed new functional programming, er, function.

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed May 4 16:56:23 CEST 2011

On 04/05/2011 10:40 AM, Ravi Varadhan wrote:
> I too would like this (being an Indian!).
>
> Here is an example that came up just yesterday with regards to solving a quadrature problem using the "cubature" package.  The adaptIntegrate function does not allow additional arguments via ...
>
> Uwe suggested a work around, but `Curry' would solve it nicely (and it also tastes better!):
>
> Curry = function(FUN,...) {
> .orig = list(...)
> function(...) do.call(FUN,c(.orig, list(...)))
> }
>
> require(cubature)
>
> f<- function(x, a) cos(2*pi*x*a)  # a simple test function
>
> # this works
> a<- 0.2
> adaptIntegrate(function(x, argA=a) f(x, a=argA), lower=0, upper=2)
>
> # but this doesn't work
> rm(a)
> adaptIntegrate(function(x, argA=a) f(x, a=argA), lower=0, upper=2, a=0.2)
>

> # Use of Curry
> adaptIntegrate(Curry(f, a=0.2), lower=0, upper=2)

Two objections:

1.  I don't see how that is preferable to

adaptIntegrate(function(x) f(x, a=0.2), lower=0, upper=2)

2.  There seems to be confusion about what currying means.  The
Wikipedia page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currying> indicates that
the function Curry() defined above is really doing "partial function
application", not currying.  I'm in no position to judge whether Byron
got it right or Wikipedia did, but this suggests to me that the name
"Curry" is inappropriate, since at least some people who know what
currying is would not guess that it does what it does.

Duncan Murdoch