[Rd] Reproducible use case for R crash after updating R

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue May 17 12:54:17 CEST 2011

On 11-05-16 11:59 PM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> Great, thanks for this.
>
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Duncan Murdoch
> <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> A simple version of a fix is now in R-devel:  if the .RData file can't be
>> loaded during startup, an error message is printed, and R starts with an
>> empty workspace.
>
> I've just verified with the R v2.14.0 devel (2011-05-16 r55916) on
> Windows.  For followers, here it is how it works now:
>
> # GENERATE AN INVALID .RData file:
> install.packages("fortunes")
> library("fortunes")
> foo<- fortune
> remove.packages("fortunes")
> q("yes")
>
> Startup behavior when using either Rterm or Rgui:
> [...]
> Type 'q()' to quit R.
>
> Error in loadNamespace(name) : there is no package called 'fortunes'
> During startup - Warning message:
> unable to restore saved data in .RData
>> cat("Hello world!\n")
> Hello world!
>>

>> The name of the .RData file is printed.  It's usually just ".RData", because
>> that's what R tries to load; the file will be in the current directory if
>> you want to delete it.
>
> I've looked at the code behind this and I kind of understand what you
> mean by "just" .RData.  However, is there a reason for not reporting
> the full pathname to .RData, e.g. file.path(getwd(), ".RData")?  It
> would help the user further if the warning said:

This is coming from C code, so getting the current directory requires
allocating memory for a buffer.  We're in a situation where something
that normally succeeds has just failed, so it might not be safe to do that.

> (1) unable to restore saved data in .RData in directory /path/to/pwd/
> (2) unable to restore saved data in /path/to/pwd/.RData

If the file that it tried to load was named "/path/to/.RData", then your
messages wouldn't be right:

  (1) unable to restore saved data in /path/to/.RData in directory
/path/to/pwd/
  (2) unable to restore saved data in /path/to/pwd//path/to/.RData

You really want something like normalizePath(), but that's not a simple
C function (and it has its own problems, e.g. if the file doesn't exist,
normalizePath doesn't work, at least on Windows).

Duncan Murdoch