[Rd] By default, `names<-` alters S4 objects

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Tue May 17 18:04:46 CEST 2011

One point that may have been unclear, though it's surprising if so.  The
discussion was about assigning names to S4 objects from classes that do
NOT have a formal "names" slot.  Of course, having a "names" slot is not
illegal, it's what one should do to deal with names in S4.  Look at
class "namedList" for example.

Assigning names() to such a class would go through without warning as it
does now.

 > getClass("namedList")
Class "namedList" [package "methods"]

Slots:

Name:      .Data     names
Class:      list character

Extends:
Class "list", from data part
Class "vector", by class "list", distance 2

Known Subclasses: "listOfMethods"
 > xx <- new("namedList", list(a=1,b=2))
 > names(xx)
 > names(xx) <- c("D", "E")
 > xx at names

There was no question of breaking inheritance.