[Rd] Calling Rscript from Makevars

Sean Robert McGuffee sean.mcguffee at gmail.com
Fri May 27 00:44:05 CEST 2011

Thanks for the help!

On 5/23/11 8:58 PM, "Simon Urbanek" <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:

> Sean,
>
> On May 23, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Sean Robert McGuffee wrote:

>>> No, many variables have a special meanings in autoconf, such as CC, CPP,
>>> CFLAGS, LIBS, LDFLAGS etc. When you run tests like AC_PROG*, AC_HEADER*,
>>> AC_CHECK_*, AC_COMPILE*, AC_LINK* then those use (and set) only the
>>> variables
>>> supported by configure and they have no idea about things like PKG_LIBS. So
>>> as
>>> far as autoconf is concerned PKG_LIBS has no effect.
>>
>> I'm not familiar with all of the AC_* commands, but I'm pretty sure that
>> AC_SUBST(PKG_LIBS) will properly set the variable PKG_LIBS or any variable
>> you like. You can run tests to set it how you like before you run AC_SUBST
>> too. For example,
>> if test [ -n "$lmmin_include_path" ] ; then
>>   LMMIN_INCLUDE_CXXFLAGS="-I${lmmin_include_path}"
>> else
>>   if test [ -n "${LMMIN_INCLUDE}" ] ; then
>>      LMMIN_INCLUDE_CXXFLAGS="-I${LMMIN_INCLUDE}"
>>   else
>>      LMMIN_INCLUDE_CXXFLAGS="-I/default
>>   fi
>> fi
>> AC_SUBST(LMMIN_INCLUDE_CXXFLAGS)
>>

> Yes, but the above don't actually test anything - it just performs a shell
> substitution, you still have no idea if that actually works. The point of
> autoconf is to provide tests of functionality - that's what all the tests I
> mentioned are about. If you just wanted to replace a variable, you can use sed
> and skip all autoconf ;) - or in fact you can simply use Makevars since that
> gives you all shell functionality and you don't sacrifice the ability to
> support multiple architectures (see my previous comment why configure should
> be only used if absolutely necessary as it impedes the package build process).

Good point--And now that I understand that Makevars is going to be included
in a Makefile that R will generate, that makes perfect sense.

>>> Because R has its own building process, using autoconf with packages means
>>> you
>>> have to a) set autoconf's flags to match the R configuration before you do
>>> anything, b) use autoconf tests which implies using autoconf's flags, c) map
>>> resulting autoconf flags to special R package flags. If you skip any of
>>> a,b,c
>>> the result will not be reliable. In theory, you can handle R's flags and
>>> autoconf flags in parallel, i.e., updating both in the success branch of
>>> each
>>> test, but that's a bit too tedious to implement (you can't use the autoconf
>>> default actions) and unnecessary.

>>> Makevars is simply a file included in R's Makefile when it is building the
>>> package.
>>
>> I think this if *EXTREMEMLY* useful information and should be appended to
>> the beginning of "Writing R Extensions: 1.2.1 Using Makevars." Thank you so
>> much for sharing this crucial piece of information. Now it all makes sense.
>>

> From R-admin: http://r.research.att.com/man/R-exts.html#Using-Makevars
>
> "There are some macros which are set whilst configuring the building of R
> itself and are stored in R_HOME/etcR_ARCH/Makeconf. That makefile is included
> as a Makefile afterMakevars[.win], and the macros it defines can be used in
> macro assignments and make command lines in the latter."
>
> (this attempts makes clear that Makevars is a makefile included before
> Makeconf)

Notice how the word "Makevars" is not in that quote... It tends to be
difficult to clarify something about Makevars without using the word
Makevars.

> and
>
> "Note that Makevars should not normally contain targets, as it is included
> before the default makefile and make will call the first target, intended to
> be all in the default makefile. If you really need to circumvent that, use a
> suitable (phony) target all before any actual targets in Makevars.[win]:"
>
> (this attempts to make clear that you can define targets in Makevars even if
> it's not customary)

This makes sense now knowing that Makevars gets included in a Makefile that
R generates.