[Rd] Reference Classes/S4 Classes: can method dispatch check superclasses BEFORE resorting to method for "ANY"?

Janko Thyson janko.thyson.rstuff at googlemail.com
Fri May 27 15:13:29 CEST 2011

Dear list,

is it possible that method dispatch checks for superclasses/virtual
classes before checking "ANY"?

I'd like to build a generic initialization method for all my Reference
Class (say "MyDataFrame") objects by having them inherit from class, say
"MyRefClassVirtual" (which would have to be a virtual S4 class; there
are no virtual Reference Classes, are there?)

The problem is that 'getRefClass("MyDataFrame")$new' calls (I think) the
method that was written for "ANY". Thus even though I write a explicit
initialize method for class "MyRefClassVirtual" which I should be called
for "MyDataFrame" as it inherits from this class, this method will never
be called because "ANY beats anything else".

So, I think I'd like to tell the method somehow to check for
superclass/virtual classes *before* resorting to "ANY".

Is that possible?

Regards,
Janko