[Rd] Sweave, cairo_pdf, xetex, CJK (Re: Sweave, cairo_pdf, CJK, ghostscript)

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 02:13:07 CET 2011

--- On Mon, 31/10/11, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:

> Well, I don't see how most of the above is in any way
> relevant. What PDF gets generated really depends on the
> cairo version you are using, not on R. Only most recent
> versions of Cairo (1.10.x) switched the format to PDF-1.5
> and added format restriction functions, they are not
> available in general. In addition, PDF-1.5 is 8 years old,
> so whatever tools can't deal with it are seriously out of
> date.

You have completely missed the point. Have a look at both ghostscript's and libpoppler's bug database: neither's support of PDF *1.4* is complete, and that's what, over 10 years old. And I hope you do not used either of them in any form. TeXLive/Evince/xpdf/kpdf/okular used the latter, and linux-based printing used the former.