[Rd] Error in gzfile(file, mode) when checking a package with rcmd check

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Sun Nov 6 19:31:13 CET 2011

Le 06/11/2011 18:57, Uwe Ligges a écrit :
> On 06.11.2011 18:46, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:
>> Following Uwe Ligges' instructions (off list) I have updated Duncan
>> Murdoch's toolchain, with no effect. The trouble was solved when I moved
>> the package to a directory with a shorter path (U:\Documents and
>> Settings\pgiraudo\Bureau instead of U:\Documents and
>> Settings\pgiraudo\Mes documents\R\pgir_arch\pgirmess_arch\On work) and
>> then things went trough smoothly.
>

> It is really "Mes documents" or just what Microsoft translates this
> way in the Windows Explorer? It may help to use the correct names then.

Looks like being "Mes documents" although I don't know how to check if
it is translated or not on the system level. Actually the French
translation of the English original "My Documents".

However I have tried moving the folder pgirmess one level up to

U:\Documents and Settings\pgiraudo\Bureau instead of U:\Documents and
Settings\pgiraudo\Mes documents\R\pgir_arch\pgirmess_arch\

and then running rcmd check..... and.... it works (tried twice, both
OK). Means "Mes documents" seems not to be the real cause, but the "On
Work" directory. However, replacing "On Work" by "On_work" gives a
failure as before. Conclusion: looks like if the "space" character is
not the problem, but the length of the path or the number of embedded
directories (?).

Patrick