[Rd] Including multiple third party libraries in an extension

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Sun Nov 13 16:27:00 CET 2011

On 13.11.2011 05:22, Tyler Pirtle wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 8:08 PM, Tyler Pirtle<rtp at google.com>  wrote:
>
>> Thanks Simon, a few replies...
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Simon Urbanek<
>> simon.urbanek at r-project.org>  wrote:
>>
>>> Tyler,

>>> That is certainly non-portable and won't work for a vast majority of
>>> users.
>>

>> Yea I figured, but apparently I have other, more pressing problems.. ;)

>>> on
>>>
>>> Yes. And I doubt the package will work the way you described it at all,
>>> because the "deep" .so won't be even installed. Also there are potential
>>> issues in multi-arch R (please consider testing that as well).
>>>

>> Understood. I wasn't a fan of any of the potential solutions I'd seen (one
>> of wich included source-only availability).
>> I've seen some other folks using the inst/ or data/ dirs for purposes like
>> this, but I agree it's ugly and has
>> issues. You raise a great point, too, about multi-arch R. I have potential
>> users that are definitely on
>> heterogeneous architectures, I noticed that when I R CMD INSTALL --build .
>> to check my current build,
>> I end up with a src-${ARCH} for both x86_64 and i386 - is there more
>> explicit multiarch testing I should be
>> doing?

>>> Typically the best solution is to compile the dependencies as
>>> --disable-shared --enable-static --with-pic (in autoconf speak - you don't
>>> need to actually use autoconf). That way your .so has all its dependencies
>>> inside and you avoid all run-time hassle. Note that it is very unlikely
>>> that you can take advantage of the dynamic nature of the dependencies
>>> (since no one else knows about them anyway) so there is not real point to
>>> build them dynamically.
>>>

>> That is a much better solution and the one I've been looking for! I was
>> afraid I'd have to manually specific all the dependency objects but if I
>> just disable
>> shared than that makes much more sense, I can let the compiler and linker
>> do the work for me.
>>

>>> Also note that typically you want to use the package-level configure to
>>> run subconfigures, and *not* Makevars. (There may be reasons for an
>>> exception to that convention, but you need to be aware of the differences
>>> in multi-arch builds since Makevars builds all architectures at once from
>>> separate copies of the src directories whereas the presence of configure
>>> allows you to treat your package as one architecture at a time and you can
>>> pass-though parameters).
>>>

>> Understood. Is src/ still the appropriate directory then for my third
>> party packages? Also, do you happen to know of any packages off-hand that I
>> can use
>> as a reference?
>>
>> Thanks Simon! Your insights here are invaluable. I really appreciate it.
>>

>> Tyler
>>

> Ah, also a few more questions...
>
> I don't really understand the flow for developing multi-arch extensions.
> [...]

Depends on the platform. For example: If you are on Windows and have a
configure.win, you can tell R to run it for each architecture: See the R
Installation and Administration manual  and also

R CMD INSTALL --help which has, e.g., under Windows:

   --force-biarch    attempt to build both architectures
                     even if there is a non-empty configure.win

> Once per arch? What is the state of
> src-${ARCH} by the time the src/Makevars or Makefile is executed? Is any of
> this actually in the manual and am I just missing it? ;)

The Makevars/-file is executed for each architecture.

> And why does R_ARCH start with a '/'? ;)

It is typically used as part of a path's name.

Uwe Ligges