[Rd] strange behavior from cex="*"

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 23:18:43 CET 2011

On Nov 16, 2011, at 22:38 , Ben Bolker wrote:

>  Someone inquired on StackOverflow about apparently non-deterministic
> graphics behaviour in R.  I noticed that they were using cex="*" and
> discovered some potentially weird behavior.

It can be reproduced much more simply (well, not the hang, but bad enough):

In a plain R application console (OSX Snow Leopard),

for (i in 1:100) plot(1:10,cex="*")

will _sometimes_ show big circles, indicating random data being picked up.

The "cex" is by definition numeric, so you can't expect to be able to pass a character string, but the code should check.