[Rd] cygwin R-2.14.0 build fail

marco atzeri marco.atzeri at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 12:33:02 CET 2011

On 11/17/2011 10:11 AM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> Everybody in this discussion invested too much time on it already. If
> you want to provide cygwin support for others, go ahead and tackle the
> problems, but don't distribute incorrectly working versions of R.

Dear Uwe,

first test versions are always by definition incorrectly
working versions.

Reading
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#BLAS
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#LAPACK

it is clear that R relies with its internal BLAS and Lapack
implementation, differently from a lot of other packages.
May I suggest to add an additional note that also
external BLAS is not recommended as done for LAPACK.

It will be also worth to add a "not recommended" on the
   configure --help
output

   --with-blas             use system BLAS library (if available),
                           or specify it [no]
   --with-lapack           use system LAPACK library (if available),
                           or specify it [no]

as it is not obvious and it could mislead newcomers like me.

> Best,
> Uwe Ligges

Best Regards
Marco