[Rd] number of copies

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon Oct 3 22:01:41 CEST 2011

Terry,
  In SV4 and the version of S+ based on it, unset(x) removed
the name "x" from the currently active evaluation frame and returned
the value of "x".  This decremented the reference count of the
data by 1.  The .C() and .Call() functions would copy an input only
if its reference count was positive.  If the data pointed to by "x"
was not also referenced by another name (in any frame) then
   .C("Cfunc", unset(x))
would not copy x, but otherwise it would.  Hence unset() was not dangerous
but it could be difficult to make sure it actually avoided a copy.
E.g., if you had
   f <- function(y) g(y)
   g <- function(x) .C("Cfunc", unset(x))
and called
   f(1:1e6)
then g's call to .C would copy the 1:1e6 because it was pointed to
by f's "y".  Changing f to
   f <- function(y) g(unset(y))
would let
   f(1:1e6)