[Rd] Question about Rweb

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Oct 5 21:06:29 CEST 2011

On Oct 5, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Tonidandel, Scott wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am working on creating an interactive website that will generate R-code for users based in the information they input on the site. Currently, the R-code can be generated and downloaded to be run locally on a computer with R. However, I have noticed a number of applications out there that instead submit the code directly to an R-web server. Some examples seem to be:
>
> http://www.biostatisticien.eu/cgi-bin/Rweb/buildModules.cgi
>
> http://quantpsy.org/interact/mlr2.htm
>
> http://pbil.univ-lyon1.fr/Rweb/
>
> I would like to do something similar and set up R-web on a university server to execute my code. My trouble comes in terms of finding out more information regarding how to do this. Most of my searches of Rweb tend to point me to:
>
> http://www.math.montana.edu/Rweb/
>
> But the associated links are all defunct. The R-Cran help pages related to R web also point to this now defunct website. I am at a loss regarding what to do.
>
> So, the question is, can someone out there tell me if it is possible to install Rweb on one of my own university servers and where can one go to learn how to do this? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I may be biased, but I would recommend using FastRWeb, it's much more efficient and has a lot of advantages (allows pre-loading of data and code, supports parallel connections etc.).

See
http://rforge.net/FastRWeb
and
https://www.urbanek.info/research/pub/urbanek-iasc08.pdf

We use it heavily internally for a lot of things we do, so it's definitely a very active project (in fact I know about several people using it externally as well). In case you get convinced that this is a good option, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions and need any help.

Cheers,
Simon