[Rd] NOTE: unstated dependencies in examples

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 15:26:38 CEST 2011

On 14/10/2011 9:18 AM, Jari Oksanen wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 17:34 +0200, Uwe Ligges wrote:
> >  I looked at the code and since this is not that trivial to change, I
> >  think we can well live with typing
> >
> >  grep -r gplots ./man
> >
> >  which is not too hard to run on the source package, I believe.
> >
> >  Best wishes,
> >  Uwe
> >
> Uwe&  others,
>
> This is OK if you want to identify the cause of the problems. However,
> the basic problem was that checking required something that is not
> required: there was one example that was not run, and one case where the
> believe that handling this kind of cases is difficult in automatic
> checking. However, I think they need not be checked: there should be a
> new case of package reference in addition to 'depends', 'suggests' and
> 'enhances' -- something like 'benefitsfrom'.

Users use those declarations when they ask to install dependencies.  If
you don't declare a dependence on a contributed package, users will have
to manually install it.

> This is now actual to me, since I'm adding 'parallel' support to my
> package, but there seems to be no clean way of doing this with the
> current checking procedures. I use the 'parallel' support only if the
> package is available (in R>= 2.14.0, not yet released), and there are
> multiple cores.

Temporarily maintain two releases of your package:  one for R < 2.14.0
that doesn't mention parallel, and one for R >= 2.14.0 that does.  The
second one should declare its dependence on R >= 2.14.0.  If support for
parallel is your only change, you don't need to do anything for the
previous one:  CRAN will not replace it in the 2.13.x repository if the
new one needs a newer R.

Duncan Murdoch