[Rd] NOTE: unstated dependencies in examples

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Fri Oct 14 19:17:39 CEST 2011

On 14.10.2011 18:52, Jari Oksanen wrote:
> On 14/10/11 19:00 PM, "Uwe Ligges"<ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de>  wrote:

>>> I don't see why it's weird to require that a version that uses a
>>> facility that is in 2.14.0 but no earlier versions should have to
>>> declare that. Sure, you can put all sorts of conditional tests into your
>>> code so that it avoids using the new facility in older versions, but
>>> isn't it simpler to just declare the dependency and avoid cluttering
>>> your code with those tests?
>>
>> Indeed, I think you should update your package and declare the
>> dependency on R>= 2.14.0. This seems to be a cleanest possible
>> approach. Distributing a contributed parallel package without
>> functionality for R<  2.14.0 is not, why should anybody develop code for
>> R versions that won't be supported any more in due course?
>
> Here one reason: Our PC labs have now R version 2.12.something and it is not
> in my power to upgrade R,but that depends on the will of our computing
> centre.

So other people from the administration tell you which software to use
for teaching? And what happens if they tell you only Excel is available?
... weird ...

> If it will upgraded, it will not be 2.14.something. A simple desire
> to be able to use the package in the environment were I work sounds a valid
> personal reason.

You can still use the old version there, if the new version depends on R
 >= 2.14.0. The old version will stay in the binary repositories for old
versions of R and in the package archives of the source repository as
well. I think Duncan explained that already.

> A second point is that the package would not *depend* or anything on R>=
> 2.14.0.

But it depends on it: it won't pass the checks for R < 2.14.0.

> It could be faster in some cases, but not in all. It would just as
> legitimate to have a condition, that the package cannot be used by those
> poor sods who don't have but one processor (and I was one just a short time
> ago).
>
> Indeed, this is exactly the same condition: you *must* have a hardware
> I want you to have, and the version of R I want to have. I won't make that
> requirement.

Why is the hardware relevant to use the parallel (or your) package? You
can also use it with one cpu.

Best,
Uwe