[Rd] .onLoad failing because could not find function "loadMethod"

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Oct 15 18:09:32 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> The thing that happens during the check is that the methods package is
> not among the automatically loaded and attached packages.
>
> When the pkgB packages is attached, the Namespaces of pkgA and methods
> are loaded but not attached.
>
> Note that one of the checks tells you:
>
> "A namespace must be able to be loaded with just the base namespace
> loaded: otherwise if the namespace gets loaded by a saved object, the
> session will be unable to start."
>

> If you like to see into the details more easily, just start R with
>
> R R_DEFAULT_PACKAGES=NULL
> and then try to
> library("pkgB")
> and you are able to reproduce the check messages.

yep, but .onLoad code can be written as

  a = new("A")
  length(a)

the error is on length(a) -- after methods::new has been found. Also, inserting a browser() call in .onLoad and then

Browse[1]> names(getNamespaceInfo(parent.env(environment()), "imports"))
[1] "base"    "methods" "pkgA"    "pkgA"

or

Browse[1]> findFunction("loadMethod")
[[1]]
<environment: 0x752d90>
attr(,"name")
[1] "imports:pkgB"

shows that the methods name space is where it should be. It is the dispatch on the promoted length (in pkgA) that is awry.

Martin