[Rd] readRDS and saveRDS

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Oct 19 15:20:55 CEST 2011

On Oct 18, 2011, at 8:32 PM, Hervé Pagès wrote:

> On 11-10-18 04:00 PM, Kevin Wright wrote:
>> Hadley,
>>
>> Any chance of changing fun.aggregate to FUN and value_var to value.var?
>>
>> aggregate(.., FUN, ...)
>> acast(..., fun.aggregate, ...)
>>
>> cast(..., value.var)
>> acast(..., value_var)
>>
>> Side note: My fantasy for R 3.0 would be to fix the obvious inconsistencies
>> in function names/arguments, use Roxygen format for the documentation,
>> change the egregious [ , , drop=TRUE] to FALSE and paste(..., sep=""),
>> install packages on the fly, and improve consistency for functions dealing
>> with colors (hex, 0-1, 0-255, etc).
>
> Sounds like a dream ;-) Please add to that list dropping the
> stringsAsFactors "feature" and fixing
> c(factor(c("a", "b")), factor(c("c", "a"))).

Can you, please, post any such ideas for making S/R consistent, especially if it breaks backward compatibility, to the Aleph mailing list? Comments from non-R users that find R inconsistent are also welcome if they substantiate their claims.
(If you have a better idea where to collect it in a single place, I'm all ear).
I'd like to collect as many such ideas as possible so we don't forget something in unlikely case Aleph gets off the ground. :)

Thanks,
Simon