[Rd] RFC: 'igraph' package update and backward compatibility

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 09:33:15 CEST 2011

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:05 PM, G?bor Cs?rdi <csardi at rmki.kfki.hu> wrote:
>
>> Dear R developers,
>>
>> I am seeking advice on some $subject matter.

If this is intended to be a CRAN update, then really you need to ask
the CRAN crew about the possible implications (and I've sent a private
reply to Gábor and them).

>> My package will have an update soon, that is not backward compatible
>> with the current version. It will likely break much of the existing
>> code. Many (~50) packages depend on 'igraph' and they, too,  will most
>> probably break with the new version.
>>

> Don't forget the indirect dependencies - might be many more.

Why would they need to change?  There are indeed current 50 CRAN/BioC
packages which directly depend on igraph according to
tools::dependsOnPkgs().  However, there are another 12 which
'Suggests: igraph', and those might need to change.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk