[Rd] RFC: 'igraph' package update and backward compatibility

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Thu Oct 20 18:33:31 CEST 2011

On 20.10.2011 18:25, Geoff Jentry wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2011, Hadley Wickham wrote:
>> The optimal solution would be if R packages could depend on a specific
>> version of a package, and a user could have multiple packages
>
> You used to be able to have a versioned install of a package, and then
> load a particular version. Not sure when it was removed.

See the NEWS files.

Anyway, it was always intended for development purposes only. You can
still install various versions into separate libraries and explicitly
load from such libraries.  Both, the removed feature and my suggested
workaround were/are *not* intended for "production use".

Best,
Uwe Ligges