[Rd] Contributors on R-Forge

Milan Bouchet-Valat nalimilan at club.fr
Fri Oct 21 15:00:25 CEST 2011

Le vendredi 21 octobre 2011 à 13:39 +0100, Charles Roosen a écrit :
> Hi,
>

> I've recently taken over maintenance for the "xtable" package, and have
> set it up on R-Forge.  At the moment I'm pondering what the best way is
> to handle submitted patches.  Basically, is it better to:
>

> 1)      Be non-restrictive regarding committer status, let individuals
> change the code with minimal pre-commit review, and figure changes can
> be reviewed before release.
>
> 2)      Accept patches and basically log them as issues to look at in
> detail before putting them in.
I'd say you'd better review patches before they go in, as it would be
quite ugly to fix things afterwards, right before the release. If a
patch is buggy, better catch problems early instead of waiting for
changes to add up: then, it will be harder to find out the origin of the
bug. It also allows you to spot small issues like styling and
indentation, that you wouldn't bother to fix once they've been
committed.

You can give people committer status, but ask them to post their patches
as issues before committing. This reduces the burden imposed on the
reviewer/maintainer.

Regards