[Rd] Contributors on R-Forge

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Oct 21 21:38:22 CEST 2011

Hi, Charles:

On 10/21/2011 7:54 AM, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
> Looke like Yihui and I are on the same page.
>
> Just wanted to add another comment with respect to his point here:
>
>> I'd encourage you to consider using github as the place for
>> development, and sync to r-forge so users can install the devel
>> version by install.packages(..., repos =
>> 'http://r-forge.r-project.org') and r-forge can also do R CMD
>> build/check for you once in a while.
> Hadley's devtools package:
> https://github.com/hadley/devtools
>
> Has an install_github function which allows you to install a package
> directly from github as well:
>
> https://github.com/hadley/devtools/blob/master/R/install.r#L57
>
> -steve

       As one of perhaps several who recommended you try R-Forge, I will
quote here something I read on this list:  "Don't do as I say.  Do as
Hadley does."  (I thought that was in a Fortune, but I can't find it now.)

       I have not used github in this way but with synching to R-Forge,
it sounds like a great way to have the best of both worlds.

       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer