[Rd] libtool FIXME

Marco atzeri marco.atzeri at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 17:39:52 CEST 2011

Hi,
looking on the build scripts, I noticed on configure.ac

## <FIXME>
## Completely disable using libtool for building shlibs until libtool
## fully supports Fortran and C++.
## AC_ARG_WITH([libtool],
## [AS_HELP_STRING([--with-libtool],[use libtool for building shared
libraries @
<:@yes@:>@])],
## [use_libtool="${withval}"],
## [use_libtool=yes])
## AM_CONDITIONAL(USE_LIBTOOL, [test "x${use_libtool}" = xyes])
## </FIXME>

Is this comment outdated or still valid ?

In my experience, Octave, that is mainly Fortran and C++ plus a small
amount of C, is fully employing libtool and automake with a very clean
and lean build system.

My question is not just academic; I was thinking to package
R for cygwin but the current configuration produce shared libs
with the wrong name

   /usr/bin/libR.dll
   /usr/bin/libRmath.dll

instead of expected

   /usr/bin/cygR.dll
   /usr/bin/cygRmath.dll

(http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dll.html#dll-build)
so the "as it is" package will be rejected and a substantial
patching of the various "Makefile.in" will be needed to make
it conformant.

Thanks in advance
Marco