[Rd] As a package author, is there a way to specify that your package is architecture (x86_64) specific?

Thu Sep 8 21:59:18 CEST 2011

Hi,

Essentially: subject line says it all.

I've created a package that wraps an external c++ library (which I
didn't write) that only successfully compiles on 64bit machines.

I'd like to make the package broadly available, but is there a way to
get it on CRAN if the 32-bit builds break by specifying its 64-bit
only somehow?

Luckily, I've ./configure'd my R-devel-compiled-from-source to only
build x86_64 libs, so I can develop and install my package against
that, but trying to `R CMD INSTALL mypackage` using the official R
binaries breaks since it also tries to build a 32-bit *.so (I'm on a
mac).

I see hints in how to limit which architecture a package is built
against in the R-ext and R-admin manuals where they seem to suggest to
include a src/Makefile in order to do that ... but I'm not sure what I
should put in it.

Is it possible to limit the build architecture by putting something in
my src/Makevars instead of trying to engineer an entire Makefile since
"the normal build process" works just fine (except this whole
architecture thing)?

Even if it can't go on CRAN as 64-bit only, it would be great if I can
put up some easy install instructions for people to d/l my source
package externally and use it that way.

Thanks,

-steve

--