[Rd] Link between Qt GUI and R

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Sep 12 09:11:04 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM, typhoong <graham.li at eurus-energy.com> wrote:
> hi everyone, thanks for all the tips.
>

> Barry, can you tell me why you think PyQT is by far the best way?

 I said that conditional on you knowing or wanting to learn Python.
Python interacts with Qt in much the same way as C++ interacts with
it, but without the annoying compile and link steps of C++ (Python is
an interpreted language). Qt was designed to work with C++, and so
development with Python and C++ should be faster than most other Qt
interfaces.

So if you already know Python, and your R scripts are already in the
can ready to go, there's less point learning, or even constructing,
some R-Qt interface than using the well-established and robust
Python-Qt interface.

Barry