[Rd] Link between Qt GUI and R

jverzani jverzani at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 18:23:21 CEST 2011

Barry Rowlingson <b.rowlingson <at> lancaster.ac.uk> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM, typhoong <graham.li <at>
> eurus-energy.com> wrote:
> > hi everyone, thanks for all the tips.
> >

> > Barry, can you tell me why you think PyQT is by far the best way?
>
>  I said that conditional on you knowing or wanting to learn Python.
> Python interacts with Qt in much the same way as C++ interacts with
> it, but without the annoying compile and link steps of C++ (Python is
> an interpreted language). Qt was designed to work with C++, and so
> development with Python and C++ should be faster than most other Qt
> interfaces.
>
> So if you already know Python, and your R scripts are already in the
> can ready to go, there's less point learning, or even constructing,
> some R-Qt interface than using the well-established and robust
> Python-Qt interface.
>
> Barry

If you don't know python, there is no need to construct an R-Qt interface, there
already is one. Take a look at: https://github.com/ggobi/ for the package
qtbase and friends. There is some great work there.  (Simon referenced this
 earlier in this thread) For a simpler interface, there is also the gWidgetsQt
package on r-forge (https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=761).

--John