[Rd] S4 method dispatch

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Sun Sep 18 23:04:41 CEST 2011

The distinction here is "simple inheritance"  ("Software for Data
Analysis", p. 346).  Your first example is simple inheritance (would be
clearer if you used the contains= argument).  In the second version you
supply an explicit coerce method, so method dispatch can no longer just
pass in the object from the subclass, but has to call the coerce method
explicitly.  Details in the reference.

If you need to have an explicit coerce method, it's possible to emulate
simple inheritance, but the programming may be more subtle than you want
to take on.  When your method is called, it actually gets also an
argument strict= which will be FALSE for method dispatch. You need to
take account of the strict= argument in writing your method.  See ?setAs
for a few more details.  Someone on the list may have an example.

John