[Rd] How to call an MPI-enabled program from R?

Alireza Mahani alireza.s.mahani at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 20:08:40 CEST 2011

Conceptually, how is it possible to call an MPI-parallelized code in C from
R? My experience with MPI so far indicates that one has to launch an
MPI-enabled binary using a command like

mpiexec -n <number of processes> <name of binary>

In other words, I'm not sure how to create an MPI 'library' and then call it
from a single-threaded application. In this sense, my question is perhaps
not strictly a R question but an MPI question. (Using a system call forces
one to use disk as intermediary between R and the MPI binary to pass data
between the two.)

I am also aware of packages such as Rmpi, but at this stage I want to be
able to understand the low-level capabilities rather than relying on an
abstraction layer.

Thank you,
Alireza