[Rd] Building R on Windows 7 -- No rule to make target `etc/GETDESC', needed by `fixetc'.

Johannes Egner johannes.egner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:46:56 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I have been experiencing difficulties building R (be this 2.13.1,
beta, devel, or rc) on Windows 7 64bit.

I believe I am following the manual religiously, and don't think I am
doing anything differently from the many successful build attempts in
the past. Unzipping the tarball works fine, but when I invoke make, I
get (shown for R-rc, same for 2-13.1):

H:\R_Builds\R-rc\src\gnuwin32>make all recommended
cat MkRules.dist MkRules.rules > MkRules
-------- Building ../../../library/base/R/Rprofile from
../../library/profile/Common.R
../../library/profile/Rprofile.windows--------
mkdir -p ../../../library/base/R
cp -p html/rwin.html ../../../doc/html/index.html
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `etc/GETDESC', needed by `fixetc'.  Stop.
make[2]: *** [fixfiles] Error 2
make[1]: *** [rbuild] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any help?