[Rd] Issue with seek() on gzipped connections in R-devel

Jeffrey Ryan jeffrey.ryan at lemnica.com
Fri Sep 23 17:54:07 CEST 2011

seek() in general is a bad idea IMO if you are writing cross-platform code.

?seek

Warning:

     Use of ‘seek’ on Windows is discouraged.  We have found so many
     errors in the Windows implementation of file positioning that
     users are advised to use it only at their own risk, and asked not
     to waste the R developers' time with bug reports on Windows'
     deficiencies.

Aside from making me laugh, the above highlights the core reason to not use IMO.

For not zipped files, you can try the mmap package.  ?mmap and ?types
are good starting points.  Allows for accessing binary data on disk
with very simple R-like semantics, and is very fast.  Not as fast as a
sequential read... but fast.  At present this is 'little endian' only
though, but that describes most of the world today.

Best,
Jeff