[Rd] CRAN policies

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Apr 2 16:27:45 CEST 2012

    > It looks like you define a few functions that use substitute() or sys.call()
    > or similar functions to look at the unevaluated argument list.  E.g.,

    > "cq" <-
    > function( ...) {
    > # Saves putting in quotes!
    > # E.G.: quoted( first, second, third) is the same as c( 'first', 'second', 'third')
    > # wrapping by as.character means cq() returns character(0) not list()
    > as.character( sapply( as.list( match.call( expand.dots=TRUE))[-1], as.character))
    > }
    > %such.that% and %SUCH.THAT% do similar things.

    > Almost all the complaints from check involve calls to a
    > handful of such functions.  If you could tell
    > codetools:::checkUsage that that these functions did
    > nonstandard evaluation on all or some of their arguments
    > then the complaints would go away and other checks for
    > real errors like misspellings would still be done.

I agree very much with you, Bill.
Many (if not the majority) of my packages have given these false
positive notes for many months now... and I have to admit that
the effect indeed has been that I take notes much less seriously
nowadays.  This of course has never been the intention.

I'm pretty sure that most of us agree that it would be very
useful if not desirable to have a simple and robust way for
package authors to declare nonstandard evaluation to the
checkUsage() checks.
Maybe we should branch a new thread about this, for proposals on
how to go about this.

Martin