[Rd] R datasets ownership(copyright) and license

Yaroslav Halchenko yarikoptic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 00:19:07 CEST 2012

I somewhat agree with Spencer -- as I have mentioned, the recent precedence
with tz database shows that such claims would not be taken as ungrounded right
away and things could easily go all the way to court -- and that might be a
really costly endeavor regardless who is right or wrong.  Proving that
data is factual, and not fictional/creative/original might be another challenge
in quite a few cases I bet.

While searching for more information -- I found IMHO a very nice (although a
bit dated) summary: http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/database.html which,
if we talk about abroad-of-USA summarizes nicely:

"sui generis right that prohibits the extraction or reutilization of any
database in which there has been a substantial investment in either obtaining,
verification, or presentation of the data contents. Under this second right,
there is no requirement for creativity or originality."

so -- I would be especially careful with data from EU ;-)

on the other hand above link clarifies to me that it is ok to claim a copyright
(e.g.  as it is in R) on the collection of factual unprotected (still unsure if
that is the case with R datasets) data.