[Rd] R CMD check returns NOTE about package data set as global variable

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 22:04:21 CEST 2012

On Apr 6, 2012, at 21:33 , Brad McNeney wrote:

> OK, thanks for the tip on good coding practice. I'm still getting the NOTE though when I make the suggested change.

Hm? It's not like Brian to get such things wrong, did you check properly?

Perhaps the code checker is not smart enough to know that data() creates global variables. (That would be heuristic at best. You can't actually be sure that data() creates objects with the name given as the argument -- in fact, several objects might be created, possibly none named as the argument).

You are not using LazyData, right?  You might consider doing that and forgetting about data() entirely.