[Rd] R CMD check returns NOTE about package data set as global variable

Roebuck,Paul L proebuck at mdanderson.org
Tue Apr 10 21:00:15 CEST 2012

On 4/6/12 4:04 PM, "Brian G. Peterson" <brian at braverock.com> wrote:

> Honestly, this is just another example of a non-helpful 'global
variable'
> NOTE.  I've removed many of these from our packages, often by
resorting to
> useless workarounds like this one, but I have never once
gotten a valid NOTE
> out of this message.  We provided other examples
earlier in a different
> thread.

While I have seen a couple valid ones, it gets really old having to explain
these NOTEs to user community. It would really be nice to have something
equivalent to LINT comment directives (i.e., NOTREACHED, ARGSUSED, etc.)
that could be used to suppress "noise" messages.