[Rd] [patch] giving library() a 'version' argument

Ken Williams Ken.Williams at windlogics.com
Thu Apr 12 20:23:26 CEST 2012

I was about to write back & say "that's not correct, if '7.10' is installed, a string comparison will do the wrong thing."

But apparently it does the *right* thing, because 'numeric_version' class implements the comparison operator.

I'd still prefer to "Huffman-code it" to something shorter, to encourage people to use it, but I can see why others could consider it good enough.

I could contribute a doc patch to the 'numeric_version' man page to make it clearer what's available.  The 3 comparisons there happen to turn out the same way when done as a string comparison.

I also do still have a question about what packageVersion() does when a package is already loaded - does it go look for it again, or does it check the version of what's already loaded?  A doc patch could help here too.

 -Ken

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the s...{{dropped:7}}