[Rd] R CMD check with non-standard .libPaths

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Apr 15 03:49:05 CEST 2012

On 14 April 2012 at 20:45, Ben Bolker wrote:

|   Does anyone have advice on how to instruct R CMD check to use a
| non-standard set of libraries?  Here's the situation:

One way around is something like this:

edd at max:~$ tail -5 .R/check.Renviron

# edd Apr 2003  Allow local install in /usr/local, also add a directory for
#               Debian packaged CRAN packages, and finally the default dir
# edd Jul 2007  Now use R_LIBS_SITE, not R_LIBS
R_LIBS_SITE=${R_LIBS_SITE-'/usr/local/lib/R/site-library:/usr/lib/R/site-library:/usr/lib/R/library'}
edd at max:~$

The file check.Renviron sets up R environment variables just for R CMD
check.  [ And IIRC there is also build.Renviron ]

|   I'm trying to do some automated checking on package dependencies of a
| package I maintain.  In order to do that I've written code that takes
| the list of the dependent packages and for each package (1) downloads
| the most recent/available .tar.gz file; (2) installs the "Suggests:" and
| "Depends:" packages for the package that are not already installed; (3)
| runs R CMD check and stores the output.
|
|   I wanted to do this in a way that would not necessarily bloat my base
| installation, so I wanted to do step #2 into a new library.  Once I've
| figured out what the missing dependencies are (depMiss), I

So you could have a script setting the check.Renviron up alongside the
build-up and later tear-down of you test setup.

Would be good to publish such a set of scripts. I hacked up something much
smaller than that and much more ad-hoc too to test the reverse depends of one
of my package before uploading it.

Dirk

|  install.packages(depMiss,lib=libdir)
|
| Then I run R CMD check as follows.
|
|    ss <- suppressWarnings(system(
|    paste("export R_LIBS=./library; R CMD check",
|                file.path(tarballdir,tn)),
|                  intern=TRUE))
|
| However, this only seems to work partially.  It does prevent the check
| from failing with an error that the package doesn't exist: *BUT* when
| the examples are actually run, I get results like this (this is from the
| 'agridat' package, which "Suggests:" the hglm package, which has hence
| been installed in the 'libdir' directory).

| [169] "169: Warning in library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc,
| character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE,  :"
| [170] "170:   there is no package called ‘hglm’"
|
|   Checking installed.packages() shows that hglm is indeed installed in
| the appropriate directory.  agridat "Suggests:" hglm.  The
| "crowder.germination" example in agridat tries require(hglm) and fails;
| it therefore doesn't fit the relevant HGLM model -- when the example
| tries to reference this model a few lines later, the example fails.
| Admittedly this could be seen as a bug in the example (it shouldn't try
| to access a model it knows it can't fit), but I wonder if there's a way
| I can get the examples run to see the non-standard package location.
|
|    I could (I guess) modify my .Rprofile temporarily ... ?  But I'm
| curious if there's a right way to do this ...
|
|   thanks
|     Ben Bolker

R/Finance 2012 Conference on May 11 and 12, 2012 at UIC in Chicago, IL
See agenda, registration details and more at http://www.RinFinance.com