[Rd] I wish xlim=c(0, NA) would work. How about I send you a patch?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Mon Apr 16 22:11:39 CEST 2012

Reversing the direction of an axis currently needs an explicit 'xlim'
such that diff(xlim) < 0 [I think].  Thus, the assumption to do a
"forward" plot when "leaving out" one element in 'xlim' by setting it
to a missing value is not too bad.

However, what about using +Inf and -Inf as instead?  Disclaimer: I
haven't bumped into one, but it could be that there plot functions
that include -Inf/+Inf.  Example:

## Case #1: Infer 2nd argument in 'xlim' from data
# (a) Forward
plot(x, xlim=c(0,+Inf))
# (b) Reverse
plot(x, xlim=c(0,-Inf))

## Case #2: Infer 1st argument in 'xlim' from data
# (a) Forward
plot(x, xlim=c(-Inf,0))
# (b) Reverse
plot(x, xlim=c(+Inf,0))

## Case #3: Infer both arguments in 'xlim' from data
# (a) Forward
plot(x, xlim=c(-Inf,+Inf))
# (b) Reverse
plot(x, xlim=c(+Inf,-Inf))

Note how the latter also supports a use case currently not supported.

/Henrik